Taharah and Shmirah Course
Registration is Now Open
Gamliel Institute’s Course 2 – Chevrah Kadisha: Taharah and Shmirah is an in-depth study of ritual washing, liturgy, and ritual guarding, part of the work of the Holy Society. This 12 week course is open to anyone interested: experienced Taharah team members and those who have never performed a taharah, lay leaders, clergy and professionals.
Instructors: Rick Light, Rena Boroditsky, & Kerry Swartz
* Online preview session: Monday, August 14, 2017 – 8 PM EST /5 pm PST
* Online orientation session: Monday, September 4, 2017 – 8-9:30 pm EST/5-6:30 pm PST
* Twelve online regular sessions: Tuesdays, September 5 – November 21 – 8-9:30 pm EST/5-6:30 pm PST
Course Content includes:
- Moving stories and films about first person taharah and shmirah experiences
- Jewish concepts of Ritual Purity – tahor and tamei
- Traditional texts about taharah and shmirah
- Chevrah Kadisha leadership, techniques for both community education and taharah team training
- Developing Chevra Kadisha policy
- Taharah liturgy, ancient and modern taharah manuals.
- The impact of Shmirah and Taharah on the community and on the members of the Chevrah Kadisha
- Practical aspects of Taharah, complications and team safety
- Taharah facilities and working with funeral homes
Weekly homework includes about 3 hours of reading, forum postings, and work with a study group.
More information is at www.jewish-funerals.org – click on the link for the Gamliel Institute. Register at www.jewish-funerals.org/gamreg for Gamliel Institute Course 2.
Questions?: firstname.lastname@example.org 410-733-3700