Kavod v’Nichum and Gamliel Institute News
Upcoming Text Study Intensives
Click here to register and learn more about these engaging discussions to explore foundational Jewish texts related to Jewish death practices.
Resources for Virtual Shmirah
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Latest News
New information about vaccinations and our safety! Information regarding taharah and Coronavirus, view the recording of the webinar with a panel of experts, lists of articles including infection control, and more, visit our central “Coronavirus and Jewish Death Practices” page.
Upcoming Taste of Gamliel Lecture Series
Click here to register and learn more about the extensive array of topics and instructors lined up for the coming year.
Upcoming Gamliel Core Curriculum Courses
The central elements of Chevrah Kadisha practice include the two important rituals of taharah, preparation of the body for burial; and shmirah, the watching (or “guarding”) of the body between death and burial. This course addresses liturgy, training, safety, and complications, and examines the Jewish religious significance of what a Chevrah Kadisha does, as we explore the meanings of the rituals associated with taharah and shmirah.
Recent Articles of Interest
Articles about the pandemic are not included here, but links to articles are listed on our Coronavirus and Jewish Death Practices page.
- Poem about pandemics, March 11, 2020 – Poem by Lynn Ungar
- Join the fight against hatred and antisemitism, take action in support of those killed this past year, including 11 Jews in Pittsburgh. – 11 Actions for 11 Lives
- Reform Judaism, July 17, 2019 – How and Why I Sit with the Deceased Before Burial
- Tablet Magazine, July 16, 2019 – Lessons for Living from the Burial Society
- OZY, June 27, 2019 – Why the Coffin Industry is Dying for Disruption
- Rabbinical Assembly, March 26, 2019 – Resolution on Chevrah Kadisha
Online Videos Related to Jewish Death Practices
- A list of BimBam animated videos related to Jewish death rituals and traditions now on YouTube
- “Living Jewishly Means Dying Jewishly Too” ELI Talk by Michael Slater
- “A Good End” Podcast from My Jewish Learning
- Jewish Sacred Aging podcast interviews with David Zinner: March 17, 2017, August 1, 2014 (part II), July 21, 2014 (part I)
Find Us on Social Media
- Expired and Inspired Blog
- Chevrah Kadisha FaceBook Page
- Kavod v’Nichum Twitter
- Kavod v’Nichum Instagram
- Kavod v’Nichum Listserve discussion threads