Kavod v’Nichum and Gamliel Institute News
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Latest News
Central Page of Coronavirus Information
For information about health and safety in the taharah room, new alternative taharah rituals, questions and answers regarding taharah and Coronavirus, view the recording of the recent webinar with a panel of experts, lists of articles including infection control, and more, visit our central “Coronavirus and Jewish Death Practices” page. Join live Question and Answer sessions, weekly. Information on this page is updated daily.
Emotional and Spiritual Strength – Join the Discussion
There is an aspect of this new normal that until recently we have not been addressing. Along with our physical safety needs of having social distancing, food in the house, transferring our work to be at home and online, etc, there are the emotional and spiritual aspects of this pandemic that are hardly being addressed. Click to read an inspiring introduction to this topic and read other articles.
This discussion on Monday nights now includes sharing of emotional and spiritual challenges as well as physical difficulties.
2020-2021 Gamliel Institute Courses
The Institute is excited to share our 2020-2021 schedule of events, see the online Catalog of Courses for details:
- one-, two-, and three-session Taste of Gamliel Short Courses
- 12-week Gamliel Institute Core Curriculum Courses
Upcoming Taste of Gamliel Short Courses
To view recordings of past Taste of Gamliel Short Courses, please contact our Registrar (J.Blair@Jewish-Funerals.org), or simply register for the course (even though it has already happened), and you will be emailed the link to the recording. Our next short courses are as follows:
May 20 and 27, 2020, David Zinner – Last Session this Wednesday!
You Shall Surely Bury Them? The Jewish Community’s Cremation Challenge
Wednesdays, 8:00pm Eastern / 5:00pm Pacific (two 90-minute classes)
Course fee is $72 – Click here to register.
Should the Chevrot Kadisha of the U.S. and Canada expend significant effort to encourage the Jewish community to shun cremation and promote ground burial? The Jewish community spends little time talking about the issues of Cremation, Ground Burial and Cemetery Preservation. Even among those active in the Chevrah Kadisha world, there is a significant lack of education about Jewish cemetery issues in general, and the issue of cremation in particular. The tsunami of cremation challenges basic Torah teaching. It also can create a dilemma for taharah teams and is a fundamental threat for Jewish cemeteries. The teaching is clear: cremation is not part of the traditional Jewish funeral and burial practice; burial is an essential element of traditional funeral and burial practice. The strategy to reverse the trend is not so clear, with a number of alternatives discussed in class.
Upcoming Core Curriculum Courses
- Course 4: Chevrah Kadisha: Nechama June 24 through September 16, 2020
- Course 1: Chevrah Kadisha: Origins and Evolution September 1 through November 17, 2020
The 2020 Online Chevrah Kadisha Conference – Register Now!
The 18th Annual Chevrah Kadisha and Jewish Cemetery Conference is scheduled as an online event, June 7-10, 2020.
Conference Registration fees increase as of June 1st, so register now to save!
Free tutorial session to help attendees understand how to use Zoom: Thursday, June 4th, 8:00pm EDT, 5:00pm PDT, Click here to enter this tutorial.
Email info@Jewish-Funerals.org if you have questions about the tutorial or anything about the conference.
Recent Articles of Interest
Articles about the pandemic are not included here, but links to articles are listed on our Coronavirus and Jewish Death Practices page.
- Poem about pandemics, March 11, 2020 – Poem by Lynn Ungar
- Join the fight against hatred and antisemitism, take action in support of those killed this past year, including 11 Jews in Pittsburgh. – 11 Actions for 11 Lives
- Reform Judaism, July 17, 2019 – How and Why I Sit with the Deceased Before Burial
- Tablet Magazine, July 16, 2019 – Lessons for Living from the Burial Society
- OZY, June 27, 2019 – Why the Coffin Industry is Dying for Disruption
- Rabbinical Assembly, March 26, 2019 – Resolution on Chevrah Kadisha
Online Videos Related to Jewish Death Practices
- A list of BimBam animated videos related to Jewish death rituals and traditions now on YouTube
- “Living Jewishly Means Dying Jewishly Too” ELI Talk by Michael Slater
- “A Good End” Podcast from My Jewish Learning
- Jewish Sacred Aging podcast interviews with David Zinner: March 17, 2017, August 1, 2014 (part II), July 21, 2014 (part I)
Find Us on Social Media
- Expired and Inspired Blog
- Chevrah Kadisha FaceBook Page
- Kavod v’Nichum Twitter
- Kavod v’Nichum Instagram
- Kavod v’Nichum Listserve discussion threads