Kavod v’Nichum and Gamliel Institute News
New Resources for Virtual Shmirah
New Study Group Discussion Offerings
Although these have start/end dates, they are ongoing.
Upcoming Taste of Gamliel Short CoursesTo view recordings of past Taste of Gamliel Short Courses...
Please contact our Registrar (J.Blair@Jewish-Funerals.org), or simply register for the course (even though it has already happened), and you will be emailed the link to the recording.
July 16 and 23, 2020, Rabbi Elliot Dorff
Death with Dignity
Thursdays, 8:00pm Eastern / 5:00pm Pacific (two 90-minute classes)
Course fee is $72 – Click here to register
Rabbi Dorff will discuss the new tshuvah he authored for the Conservative Movement that considers the ethical and halachic implications of medical aid in dying. Medically assisted death is a practice in which a terminally ill adult with less than six months to live who feels that the dying process has become unbearable may request a lethal dose of drugs from their doctor for self-administration to bring about death.
July 19 and August 16, 2020, Emily Fishman and Rabbi Becky Silverstein
Trans-Inclusive Taharah Practices Short Course Series
Sundays, 8:00pm Eastern / 5:00pm Pacific (two 90-minute classes)
Free! – Click here to register
This course is funded by the Hadar and the Schusterman Family Foundation
Two seminars on how to include trans haveirim and meitim in taharah ritual and liturgy led by two people who worked on the Boston Community Hevra Kadisha’s Gender Task Force.
Upcoming Gamliel Core Curriculum CoursesRegistration is Open
For more information ...
Click here to see the Course Catalog, to register click here
Recent Articles of Interest
Articles about the pandemic are not included here, but links to articles are listed on our Coronavirus and Jewish Death Practices page.
- Poem about pandemics, March 11, 2020 – Poem by Lynn Ungar
- Join the fight against hatred and antisemitism, take action in support of those killed this past year, including 11 Jews in Pittsburgh. – 11 Actions for 11 Lives
- Reform Judaism, July 17, 2019 – How and Why I Sit with the Deceased Before Burial
- Tablet Magazine, July 16, 2019 – Lessons for Living from the Burial Society
- OZY, June 27, 2019 – Why the Coffin Industry is Dying for Disruption
- Rabbinical Assembly, March 26, 2019 – Resolution on Chevrah Kadisha
Online Videos Related to Jewish Death Practices
- A list of BimBam animated videos related to Jewish death rituals and traditions now on YouTube
- “Living Jewishly Means Dying Jewishly Too” ELI Talk by Michael Slater
- “A Good End” Podcast from My Jewish Learning
- Jewish Sacred Aging podcast interviews with David Zinner: March 17, 2017, August 1, 2014 (part II), July 21, 2014 (part I)
Find Us on Social Media
- Expired and Inspired Blog
- Chevrah Kadisha FaceBook Page
- Kavod v’Nichum Twitter
- Kavod v’Nichum Instagram
- Kavod v’Nichum Listserve discussion threads