Kavod v’Nichum and Gamliel Institute News
Resources for Virtual Shmirah
Kavod V Nichum and Neshama: the Association of Jewish Chaplains, and several other groups including Jewish Family Services of Kansas City are sponsoring an innovative program on Bikur Cholim — visiting and caring for the sick and vulnerable — Renewing Bikur Cholim. It runs byweekly on monday nights from January 4 – May 10 and addresses many of the emerging challenges of Bikur Cholim facing the pandemic. The program seeks to provide an educational forum and a venue for exchange of ideas and concerns, assisting providers and volunteers in providing this essential service.
The topics addressed include expanding your spiritual toolbox, being a caring presence with technology, providing for the dying, shiva under the pandemic, new approaches to prayer, dealing with dementia, new forms of loss, and grappling with isolation and loneliness.
Study Group Discussion Offerings
Discussion and text study of a new translation and modern understanding of this foundational book.
Coronavirus (COVID-19) Latest News
New information about vaccinations and our safety! Information regarding taharah and Coronavirus, view the recording of the webinar with a panel of experts, lists of articles including infection control, and more, visit our central “Coronavirus and Jewish Death Practices” page.
Upcoming Taste of Gamliel Lecture Series
To view recordings of past Taste of Gamliel Lectures:
Next Lecture Series offerings:
Upcoming Gamliel Core Curriculum Courses
Creating and maintaining a Chevrah Kadisha involves leadership, communal education, and organizational skills, including developing relationships with funeral homes and cemeteries. This course addresses these issues, while providing a skill-foundation for students to use in their own communities.
Recent Articles of Interest
Articles about the pandemic are not included here, but links to articles are listed on our Coronavirus and Jewish Death Practices page.
- Poem about pandemics, March 11, 2020 – Poem by Lynn Ungar
- Join the fight against hatred and antisemitism, take action in support of those killed this past year, including 11 Jews in Pittsburgh. – 11 Actions for 11 Lives
- Reform Judaism, July 17, 2019 – How and Why I Sit with the Deceased Before Burial
- Tablet Magazine, July 16, 2019 – Lessons for Living from the Burial Society
- OZY, June 27, 2019 – Why the Coffin Industry is Dying for Disruption
- Rabbinical Assembly, March 26, 2019 – Resolution on Chevrah Kadisha
Online Videos Related to Jewish Death Practices
- A list of BimBam animated videos related to Jewish death rituals and traditions now on YouTube
- “Living Jewishly Means Dying Jewishly Too” ELI Talk by Michael Slater
- “A Good End” Podcast from My Jewish Learning
- Jewish Sacred Aging podcast interviews with David Zinner: March 17, 2017, August 1, 2014 (part II), July 21, 2014 (part I)
Find Us on Social Media
- Expired and Inspired Blog
- Chevrah Kadisha FaceBook Page
- Kavod v’Nichum Twitter
- Kavod v’Nichum Instagram
- Kavod v’Nichum Listserve discussion threads