New Gamliel Institute Catalog of Courses
The Institute is excited to share our new suite of courses called “Taste of Gamliel Short Courses,” along with our ongoing Core Curriculum Courses. See the new Catalog of Courses for details.
Next Taste of Gamliel Short Course
Our next short course is scheduled for February 20th, 2020, featuring Isaac Pollak:
The Well-Dressed Jewish Corpse – The Etiology of Jewish Shrouds
Thursday, 8:00pm Eastern / 5:00pm Pacific
Course fee is $36 – Click here to register.
Why white shrouds? Why ideally linen? Why no pockets? Where do the knots come from? What is the historic, textual and archeological background for the shrouds used today? In this course we will study and examine some of the relevant data currently available to understand tachrichim used in today’s Chevrah Kadisha work.
The 2020 Chevrah Kadisha Conference – Registration is Open!
The 2020 Chevrah Kadisha and Jewish Cemetery Conference will be held June 7-10, 2020, at Rodef Shalom Congregation in Pittsburgh, PA. To find out the details click here. Registration is open, you can register today!
Upcoming Courses, Classes, and Trainings
- Course 7: Chevrah Kadisha: Student Projects
- March 5 through May 21, 2020
- Course 2: Chevrah Kadisha: Taharah and Shmirah
- April 21 through July 14, 2020
The upcoming local community trainings are scheduled all over the US and Canada. For more information, contact email@example.com.
Recent Articles of Interest
- Join the fight against hatred and antisemitism, take action in support of those killed this past year, including 11 Jews in Pittsburgh. – 11 Actions for 11 Lives
- Reform Judaism, July 17, 2019 – How and Why I Sit with the Deceased Before Burial
- Tablet Magazine, July 16, 2019 – Lessons for Living from the Burial Society
- OZY, June 27, 2019 – Why the Coffin Industry is Dying for Disruption
- Rabbinical Assembly, March 26, 2019 – Resolution on Chevrah Kadisha
Online Videos Related to Jewish Death Practices
- A list of BimBam animated videos related to Jewish death rituals and traditions now on YouTube
- “Living Jewishly Means Dying Jewishly Too” ELI Talk by Michael Slater
- “A Good End” Podcast from My Jewish Learning
- Jewish Sacred Aging podcast interviews with David Zinner: March 17, 2017, August 1, 2014 (part II), July 21, 2014 (part I)
Find Us on Social Media
- Expired and Inspired Blog
- Chevrah Kadisha FaceBook Page
- Kavod v’Nichum Twitter
- Kavod v’Nichum Instagram